An amputation resulting in the loss of a limb will cause a pretty comprehensive change in an individual’s life. Everything from your identity to finances to relationships are affected.
The following is just a sample list of areas of your life that are impacted by an amputation. The list is not comprehensive; these are the most common changes that I have noticed with myself and other amputees.
- Identity loss / Identity shift
- Physical pain / Phantom Pain
- Inability / Disability / modified ability
- Changes in our Relationships
- Financial impact
- Changes to our career
- Changes to our ambitions, aspirations